Stern Drive Engine Winterization
- Add fuel treatment and stabilizer to fuel tank(s) as required per gallon.*
- Change water separating fuel filter, if equipped &/or empty sediment/water bowl if equipped.
- EFI/MPI Engines: Connect portable fuel tank containing manufacturer’s recommended winterization mix of stabilized fuel and oil. Run engine up to operating temperature, circulating winterization fuel mix to protect internal engine parts. Re-connect engine fuel line.
- Carbureted Engines: Run engine up to operating temperature, circulating stabilized fuel through fuel system and fog engine with a rust preventative solution to protect internal engine parts.
- Drain water from engine cooling system.
- Flush cooling system with antifreeze and fill system with non-toxic propylene glycol corrosion inhibiting anti-freeze with a -50°F burst protection. All hoses and drain plugs are re-installed.
- Drain and re-fill outdrive with H.P. Gear Lube and install new fill/vent screw washers. Pressure test outdrive if any indication of water exists, notify customer if present.
- Clean gear lube monitor, if equipped.
- Change engine oil and filter, using only quality products (SAE25W-40, FC-W). Emission controlled engines must use full synthetic engine oil.
- Grease gimbal bearing and outdrive fittings.
- All hoses and drain plugs are re-installed – All you have to do in the spring is install the battery, check fluid levels and start it up (fogging oil will cause it to smoke a lot when first started).
Stern Drive Service (Mercruiser Product only)
This service is recommended annually by marine engine manufacturers in their operation and maintenance manuals.
- Remove stern drive unit.
- Inspect universal joints and gimbal bearing.
- Inspect exhaust, universal and shift cable bellows
- Check engine alignment.
- Grease universal joints and gimbal bearing.
- Re-install outdrive with new gasket and o-rings.
* Due to fuel quality issues and varying ethanol content, we can no longer guarantee trouble free spring start-up. So far, our current treatment has been working well for the past several years. Please deliver your boat with at least a 1/4 tank of gasoline, so we have enough to run the engine during haul out and winterization.
Certified Service on Mercury Outboards and Mercruiser Sterndrive Products